Divorce is the legal process of ending a marriage. The court determines who has custody of children, pays child support, controls property, and is accountable for debts in a divorce. In Texas, there are some standards that must be met before a divorce can be filed. To petition for divorce in Texas, either spouse must have lived in Texas for the previous six months and be a resident of the county in which the suit is filed for the previous 90 days at the time the divorce is filed.
Cases for divorce
- Unsupportability: The marriage can no longer be sustained due to unresolved arguments or differences.
- Adultery: When your partner has betrayed you (known as “committing adultery”).
- Abandonment: When your spouse abandons you for at least a year.
- Cruelty: When your spouse is guilty of “cruel behavior” towards you to the degree that living together is no longer bearable.
- Not living together: When you and your spouse have been living apart for at least three years (without intimacy).
- Conviction of a crime: When your spouse is convicted of a crime and sentenced to at least one year in jail (in any state or federal prison) and has not been pardoned during the marriage.
- Mental hospital confinement: If your spouse has been detained in a mental hospital (state or private) for at least three years at the time you petition for divorce, it seems that his or her mental situation will not improve.
Why is hiring an attorney for divorce important?
Divorce is a painful and emotionally draining process. It is often stressful, and it may cause a person to lose focus in life. There are several advantages to hiring a divorce attorney, but first, it is critical to ensure that your attorney is experienced and competent. The attorney will deal with all the legal matters on behalf of you, keeping you away from the hassle. Your attorney will be familiar with the courts and other family law attorneys participating in this procedure since they have been practicing family law for years. This will assist in moving the process along more expeditiously.